The Helmholtz Centre Potsdam – GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences is the national research centre for Earth sciences in Germany. With approx. 1,260 employees (including visiting scientists), the GFZ is conducting interdisciplinary research on the "System Earth" and the influence of humans on the planet. As a member of the Helmholtz Association, it is part of Germany’s largest science organization.
We are looking for a new colleague to complement the “Interface-Geochemistry” team led by Prof. Liane G. Benning and to work on in situ mineral formation with a focus on liquid and cryo-cell TEM research:
Research Associate/PostDoc (f/m/x) in Transmission/Scanning Electron Microscopy TEM/STEM Job
Vacancy No. 2286
- conduct original research on nucleation, growth and dissolution of minerals with the focus on in situ liquid or cryo-cell transmission electron microscopy
- spearhead developments of liquid and cryo-electron microscopy imaging and spectral analyses of complex geomaterials
- help integrate high-resolution imaging results with theoretical and modelling results
- publish in international peer-reviewed journals; present research results at scientific meetings
- lead and/or considerably contribute to writing proposals for 3rd party funding
- help co-supervise Masters and PhD students
Your qualifications (essentials in bold, desirable in italics):
- MSc. degree (or equivalent) and PhD in material sciences, physics, or geosciences in which the focus of your project was on high-resolution electron based phase characterization
- at least 2 years well-documented, hands-on expertise in high resolution transmission electron imaging and spectral analyses
- experience with in situ liquid or cryo-cell TEM research on nanomaterials would be an advantage
- documented research experience in analysing complex samples (e.g., inorganic thin films, nanoparticles, organic-inorganic composites)
- experience in working on multiple projects simultaneously
- excellent publication and 3rd party funding records
- capacity for interdisciplinary and international teamwork and excellent communication skills
- demonstrated experience in supervision of students
- proficiency in spoken and written English, German is an asset
Starting date: 1st September 2019
Fixed term: 36 month
Salary: The pay scale grouping will be according to pay group 13 TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost) provided that all tariff related and personal requirements are met.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week)
Location: Potsdam, Telegrafenberg, 14473 Potsdam
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international working environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Your application MUST contain the following information:
- cover letter that should include (1) a maximum 2-page statement about the research you have done and aim to do in the future, and (2) a point by point description how you fit the above described responsibilities and qualifications,
- CV including a publication list and
- names of 3 referees.
Please submit your application by May 10th, 2019 using the "Apply" button.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.
Internal Number: 2286