- Deep Carbon Science
- Community Portal
- Data Portal
1. What Personal Information Does the DCO Web site Collect? You can visit most of the DCO Web site and access services without identifying who you are, or revealing personal information such as your name, birth date, e-mail address or mailing address, that can be used to identify you (non-logged in view). However, some services require registration. When you register with us, you may need to complete certain fields (some are required and some are optional), as well as choose a username, password and a contact email address. In these situations, if you choose to withhold any personal information requested by us, it may not be possible for you to gain access to certain services or parts of the DCO Web site.
2. General Use Information. The DCO Web site receives and stores certain types of information whenever you interact with the DCO Web site. For example, the DCO Web site maintains Web activity log files such as the number of pages requested, time spent on a page, and result sets from search queries. The DCO Web site extracts and aggregates information from these log files for security purposes as well as to gauge and improve the effectiveness of the Web site and services. Users of the DCO Web site acknowledge that they must have suitable authorization to access, and deposit, any form of content that they wish to add to the DCO Web site.
5. Signing Up For Services. In some instances, the DCO Web site may request information through a registration process for a Field Site, Project, or event registration. To enroll or participate, you may voluntarily supply personal information. The DCO Web site shall use the information, and may share the information with Field, Project, or Event planners, as described in the enrollment process or Section 3 of this Policy. Most submitted information can be corrected/ updated by you when logged in. Otherwise, contact the Webmaster (web [at] deepcarbon [dot] net) to correct any information you submit.
6. Security. The DCO Web site maintains all personal data with technical, administrative, and physical safeguards intended to protect against loss, unauthorized access, destruction, misuse, modification, and improper use. No computer system or information can be completely protected against every possible hazard, but the DCO Web site provides reasonable and appropriate controls to protect personal information against foreseeable hazards.
7. Public Forums. The DCO Web site maintains a number of public e-mail lists and forums for use by interested individuals. Some are open for subscription and use; others are moderated where a list or forum moderator may limit subscription and posting access. In each case, users can subscribe and unsubscribe from these areas at any time. In most cases, you can correct information you have added. If you find this is not possible or successful, contact the Webmaster (web [at] deepcarbon [dot] net) to correct any other information you submit.
Please note that any information that you post to a public bulletin board or chat room is available to all persons accessing that site. Unsubscribing from a list or forum will not remove any name, e-mail address or information that was part of any previous posting from any archive of these lists or forums.
8. Legal Requirements. The DCO Web site may access and disclose any and all available user information to the extent necessary to meet national security, public interest, or legal process requirements, such as a court order or subpoena.
9. Minor Guidelines. Students are advised to consult with their parents before giving any personal information online.
11. Liability limitation. Primary sponsors (AP Sloan Foundation), DCO and RPI (the host of some DCO Web Site services) are not responsible for for harm suffered by the user or their organization incurred due to use of data posted by the user.
If you have any questions about this privacy statement or the practices of the DCO Web site, please contact the Webmaster at web [at] deepcarbon [dot] net.